Decrease text size Increase text size

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Do I need counselling?

    If you are currently having emotional problems and your daily life, work or interpersonal relationship is affected as a result, you should make an appointment to meet with our counselors as soon as possible. Our counselors will conduct a preliminary assessment of your situation and help you identify your problems and find the appropriate solutions as soon as possible.

  2. How can CFSO help me?

    Sometimes the challenges we face in our daily lives become too difficult to manage alone. We may need someone to talk to who can help us find solutions. Chinese Family Service of Ontario (CFSO) is a non-profit, professional family and settlement services agency which offers a variety of counselling programs; with individual, couples or families - to help people cope with the challenges.

  3. Can you explain how counselling works and how long does it take?

    Counseling is a process in which the counselor and the client build up a relationship through personal interviews. The counselor will assist you to view your situation from different angles, help you identify the central problems and assist you to develop positive, achievable goals. The counsellor helps you to gain a full understanding of your circumstances and the ways to find solutions for your problems.

    There is no easy way to tell in advance. It depends on the problems, how deeply rooted they are, how willing a person, couple or family is to work on them and what the goals are. Our counsellors mainly concentrate on the problems people face in their current situations.

  4. Is there a fee for using the programs and services of CFSO?

    We charge affordable fees on some of our programs, such as the Partner Assault Response (PAR) Program and the Employee Assistance Program (EAP). Other services are provided at no cost.

  5. Are your services confidential?

    All information given by you will be treated confidentially. However, exceptions may occur in situations of child abuse, or where there is a threat to yourself or the safety of others. We will inform police or any related department with your consent.

  6. If I have mental health issues, can I get your service?

    It's encouraged to first meet with your family doctor to refer to a psychiatrist to deal with your mental health issues, but if you have other concerns that you think our counsellors can help with, counselling service still can be provided to you to solve your other family services issues.

  7. How long is your waiting period?

    Our waiting period is around 8 weeks. Some urgent cases, such as suicidal cases, or any with life threatening cases will get priority to be handled.

  8. How do I make an appointment?

    Call our office at 416 - 979 - 8299 to talk to an Intake Worker

    Potential clients are matched with a suitable staff member who will contact you to schedule an appointment.


Counselling Services

Settlement Services

Program for Problem Gamblers




December 2019

November 2019

(416) 979-8299 / 1-866-979-8298

[email protected]

3330 Midland Avenue, Suite 229, Scarborough, Ontario, M1V 5E7

Funding Partners:
Home About us Services Events Publications & Media Donation Resource Links FAQ Contact us
Privacy Policy Terms of Use
© 2013, Chinese Family Services of Ontario,
Accredited Family Service Agency
All Rights Reserved